Hands up if you're an Elvis super fan. If not, here are 20 interesting facts you may not have known about the King of Rock n'Roll, Elvis Presley! So consider this Elvis 101, and enjoy!
1. Elvis had a twin brother! On January 8th, 1935 Elvis was born 35 minutes after his stillborn brother, Jesse Garon, in East Tupelo, Mississippi.
2. Elvis's famous slicked back hair was actually blondish-brown. It was dyed black!
3.Elvis bought Graceland in Memphis Tennessee in 1957 for about 100,000. It was already named Graceland by the previous owner!
4. He began his film career in 1956 with his first movie, Love Me Tender. his second film, Loving You, featured his parents in the audience, and after his mother's death, he never watched the movie again. He went on to make 31 movies in his career.
5. When Elvis was in Germany serving the army, he met his future wife, Priscilla. He was only 24 at the time, and she was only 14! Eight years after this, they got married!
6. Elvis was distantly related to former US presidents Abraham Lincoln and Jimmy Carter.
7. Elvis recorded over 600 songs, but never actually wrote anything himself.
8. Elvis has been inducted into five Halls of Fame: "Rock N'Roll," "Country," "Gospel," "Rockabilly," and "R&B."
9. Elvis has sold over one billion records worldwide, including 150 different albums, and singles certified gold, platinum, and multi-platinum. He even still holds the record for most Top 40 Hits at 114 total.
10.Elvis, Aloha from Hawaii was telecasted in 40 countries and was watched by more people than when man first walked on the moon!
11. There a total of 15 Elvis songs with the word "Blue" in the title! Can you name all of them? 1."Blue Suede Shoes." 2."Blue Moon." 3. "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again." 4. "Blueberry Hill." 5. " Blue Christmas." 6. "Blue Moon Of Kentucky." 7. "Blue River." 8. "Blue Hawaii." 9. "Milkcow Blues Boogie." 10. "Mean Woman Blues." 11. "G.I. Blues." 12. "Moody Blue." 13. "Something Blue." 14. "Indescribably Blue." 15. " Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain."
12.Freddie Mercury (late lead singer of Queen) wrote the song "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" as a tribute to Elvis Presley, and it only took him ten minutes to write it! Can you see the classic leather outfit, and Greased hair! Not to mention that leg shaking in the beginning!
13. Johnny Cash and Elvis were really good friends. They would often joke around and impersonate each other in public!
14. It took 31 takes to record "Hound Dog." Talk about a perfectionist!
15. Elvis wore a Cross, a Star of David, and a Hebrew Chai Symbol around his neck at all times so he wouldn't "Miss out on Heaven due to a technicality."
16. About 500,000 people visit Graceland each year. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 and became a National Historical Landmark in 2006.
17. Elvis was nominated for 14 Grammy Awards and won three. He also received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
18. During 1969 to 1977, Elvis gave nearly 1,100 concert performances. These years are now referred to as his "Concert years."
19. Elvis Presley’s doctor prescribed him more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines, and narcotics in 1977. After he and Priscilla divorced in 1973, Elvis's health declined tremendously, and he suffered from a multitude of problems, including depression, obesity, Glaucoma, and addiction, to name a few.
20. No one is allowed to see Elvis’s autopsy report until 2027 because his father, Vernon Presley, sealed it for 50 years! I guess it will be awhile before we know everything about The King's death!
Thanks for reading, and go check out my other stories!