Beat is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
- Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" was reported to have earned over $50 million in royalties. (Wikipedia)
- There were 431,700,000,000 on-demand music streams in 2016. That’s 120 billion more on-demand streams than in 2015, a 39.2 percent increase. (Nielsen)
- A single violin is made from more than 70 individual pieces of wood. (Classic FM)
- In mid-2011, The "Lady Blunt" Stradivarius violin sold for a world record $15.9 million. (Barron's)
- Breaking an artist in a major market costs between $500,000 and $2 million. This includes:
- Advance for the artist ($50,000 - $350,000)
- Recording costs ($150,000 - $500,000)
- Video production costs ($50,000 - $300,000)
- Tour support ($50,000 - $150,000)
- Marketing and promotional costs ($200,000 - $700,000) (IFPI)
- There are only a few activities in life that utilizes the entire brain. Listening to music is one of them. (ScienceDaily)
- 40 percent of musicians' dreams contain musical content. That number drops down to about 18 percent for non-musicians. (Mental Floss)
On New Year's Eve 1994, Rod Stewart performed in front of 3,500,000 people at Copacabana Beach, one of the most attended concerts of all time. (Wikipedia)
- That many people could fill Madison Square Garden 168 times.
- Metallica was the first band to perform on all seven continents. (Guinness World Records)
In 2016, there were 724,000,000 digital song downloads, a 25 percent drop from 2015. (Nielsen)
Studies show that students who have a musical education, on average, score 100 total points higher on their SATs. (NAfME)
- The world's longest lasting concert will take 639 years to complete. It took 10 years to complete 11 chord changes. (Huffington Post)
- Leo Fender, the creator of the first mass-produced solid-body electric guitar, never learned to play the instrument. (Britannica)
- Perfect pitch is “The ability to recognize the pitch of a note or to produce any given note.” Studies show about one in 10,000 people are born with it. Many never discover they have it. (Creativity Post)
- The song "Happy Birthday" brings in $2 million per year on average in royalties. That's over $5,000 per day. (Wikipedia)
- Studies show that music can trigger physiological changes that modulate blood pressure, heart rate and respiration, improving your heart's health. (Scientific American)